We are currently recruiting for a new Administrator! Read on for details!
Deadline: 26th March 2018
Since its formation in 2011, A Focus on Nature has sought to encourage and bring together young people aged 16 to 30 who share a passion for the natural world. Through a combination of social media, events and mentorship, AFON has connected over 1000 young people across the United Kingdom and beyond, including aspiring conservation professionals, wildlife enthusiasts, writers, artists, photographers and poets. It has also spearheaded the Vision for Nature campaign and report, setting out young people’s vision for the natural world.
AFON is now recruiting for the role of Administrator. You will play a pivotal role in the committee, organising meetings and working with the Directors on strategy. You will also be responsible for editing AFON’s seasonal newsletter (4 per year) and managing the organisation’s email inbox.
Applicants must be below the age of 28 at the time of application. We ask for a date of birth to ensure this. We hope that the suitable applicant will take on the role for a period of no less than two years, and no more than three years. Please note that all roles are operated on a voluntary basis, with a small stipend available to cover expenses.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Management of AFON’s principal email inbox and general email communications. You will need to reply to emails and if appropriate forward correspondence on to the relevant committee officer.
- Management of the organisation’s key documents
- Drawing up key documents and drafting policies, supported by AFON’s directors.
- Lead on recruitment, drafting role descriptions and organising interviews, supported by AFON’s directors.
- Work closely with AFON’s Online and Social Media Manager on promoting opportunities.
- Lead on editing the seasonal newsletter, giving members and committee members the opportunity to submit news or photos.
Meetings and other committee events
- Lead on organising committee meetings (2 face to face and 2 online each year), including booking the venue, sorting a suitable date and writing the agenda. Supported by AFON’s directors.
- Writing minutes at meetings, with clear actions, and ensuring all committee receive these promptly after each meeting.
- Support other members of the committee with tasks as and when support is required
- Adhere to AFON policies and help ensure that members do the same
- Be willing to promote and/or represent AFON if and when opportunities arise
It is anticipated the role will require an average of 2-4 hours per week, although this could be more at times, especially immediately before and after meetings. The role may require evening, weekend and very occasional weekday duties. However, our committee roles are designed to be manageable alongside other commitments.
What are we looking for?
- Experience in media or administration (desirable)
- Experience of working with external organisations (desirable)
- Experience of working in a team (desirable)
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent organisation skills – good at juggling different tasks and prioritising.
- A good team player.
- Good ability to show initiative.
- High standard of computer literacy (Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook).
- Demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise own workload.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- Methodical and thorough approach to work.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure.
- Ability to empathise with a wide variety of people.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required
- An interest in wildlife, the environment and conservation.
You’ll need to email us with a bit of information about yourself, and to answer a few questions…
We’ll need your…
Date of birth:
And you’ll need to let us know the answers to a few key questions (Max.300 words per answer):
What has motivated you to apply for this role?
What do you think A Focus on Nature has achieved in the past five years?
What do you think the organisation could do more of in the coming years?
How do your meet the criteria for being our Administrator?
Give us your vision for the seasonal newsletter?
How do you see this role benefiting your own personal aspirations?
How to apply:
Please submit a copy of your CV with a word document answering the questions above and stating your name, date of birth and email address to Ben Eagle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed over skype by at least two members of the A Focus on Nature committee.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Ben at the same address above.